Fraser High School has its own purpose-built Hauora Centre which is a ‘one-stop-shop’ to meet the physical and psychological health needs of Fraser students. Very few schools in New Zealand are equipped with such a comprehensive adolescent Hauora centre.
The Hauora Centre is run effectively and efficiently by qualified, experienced and professional staff.
Cristine Kitto Office Manager/Receptionist
Vicki Wihongi - Counsellor and Head of Guidance & Health Centre
Stuart Barris - Counsellor
Petina Kerapa - Counsellor
Rachel McKenna - Counsellor
Santoshni Pillay- Registered Nurse
Amber McAlister - Registered Nurse
Monday to Friday - during school hours
- Students can still talk with the school Doctor by emailing Santoshni, one of our school Nurses, and requesting a phone consultation. Santoshni's email address is [email protected]
- Our registered Nurses are able to offer care and advice in the following areas:
- Asthma, Diabetes, First Aid, Sporting Injuries and Sexual Health
- Our qualified and experienced Guidance Counsellors can support students in a variety of ways including:
- Grief, Anxiety, Depression, Stress and Relationship Issues
Visiting Professional Staff:
Appointments can be made by either calling in at the Hauora Centre during break times or by contacting Cristine Kitto on 07 847 9044 ext 638.
Disabled Student Service:
The Hauora Centre in partnership with the Support Centre, caters for the disabled students. We have an access ramp, low-level reception and specially adapted toilets to meet students' needs.
Health Service Agencies:
All agencies work in partnership with the Hauora Centre Team
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
- Hauora Waikato Group
- Birthright Waikato
- Lifeline Aotearoa
- Rainbow Place
In an emergency or if there is immediate risk call 111
An urgent situation/crisis includes:
- Students that pose a risk of harm to themselves and/or others
- Students that pose risk to others due to mental health concerns
- If deterioration of pre-existing mental health condition occurs
Local mental health crisis numbers:
- 1737 (free 24/7 counselling phone line, available to call or text)
- Waikato Mental Health Crisis Team 0800 50 50 50
More help available:
There is a wide range of free information available at Fraser High School in the Hauora Centre. Listed below are links to websites where more information can be accessed about depression, mental health, anxiety, and drug and alcohol addiction. If you would like to talk to a school nurse or guidance counsellor, please phone the school and ask to be connected to the Hauora Centre.
https://www.smallsteps.org.nz (Helping with anxiety)
https://thelowdown.co.nz/ (Information about anxiety and depression)
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/dealing-with-anxiety.htm (Help with anxiety)
The above staff work under a Code of Ethics that includes confidentiality and the necessity to undergo regular supervision and ongoing training.
For further information on any of the above - please phone the Hauora Centre: 8479044 ext 638.